Brocklesby and the new Grimsby
The two places that frame William's life were both, in their different ways, building sites. Brocklesby was the Pelham family's estate village, and in the years just before William married there the Pelhams had raised the grandest piece of stone-work in Lincolnshire — the great domed mausoleum on the hill above the park, built to James Wyatt's design between 1787 and 1794. A stonemason at Brocklesby in the early 1790s was in the right place at the right time; whether William's hands touched that stone the record cannot say, but the trade could not have found a better school. Grimsby, eight miles east, was remaking itself as he arrived: the old borough had decayed with its silted haven, and under the Haven Act of 1796 a company was cut a new dock — opened in 1800 — around which the town began slowly to rebuild in brick and stone. It was not yet the fishing port it would become (the Devon smacksmen and the railway were a generation away, and would carry his grandchildren to Hull); it was a town of building work, freemen's privileges and small trade — the Grimsby of William's directory entries, his son's freedom of the borough, and the Coach and Horses in George Street.
Composed for this site from published local history — the family’s world, not one of Mum’s records.