Brock Family History

William Crabb

1726 – 1804
✓ Validated against records · 2026-07-03

William Crabb was christened at Littleport on 10 January 1726, the youngest of Robert and Mary Crabb's four recorded children, into a village where his surname was already everywhere — the registers of his childhood carry half a dozen Crabb households at once. On 25 July 1749 he married Esther James at Littleport, and across the next quarter-century they baptised nine children there: Robert, William, a Mary who lived twelve weeks, a second Mary, Christopher, Clement, a son given the family's most distinctive name — Pepper — Thomas, the last-but-one, who carries this line forward, and a final William who died at eight months. Two babies buried, seven raised: the ordinary arithmetic of the age, in one family's rows.

What sets William's generation apart is a printed page. Edmund Carter's History of the County of Cambridgeshire, published in 1753, lists the freeholders of Littleport — the men whose land gave them standing and a county vote — and among them stand four of the clan: Christopher Crabb, Pepper Crabb, Bennet Crabb, and William Crab. The family that would end the next century as landless fen labourers began this one holding ground in their own right; the fall from that page to the 1891 census's one-word 'pauper' is the whole social history of the fens compressed into five generations of one family. William did not live to see it. Esther died in the spring of 1796, sixty-nine years old; William followed on 24 October 1804, buried at Littleport aged seventy-eight, in the same registers as his baptism, his wedding and all nine of his children.

Composed from validated records · 2026-07-03
Birth
January 10th 1726, Littleport
Marriage
July 25th 1749 Littleport to Esther James
Burial
October 24th 1804, Littleport aged 78 years
Parents
Robert Crabb and Mary Greene
Siblings
Christopher Crabb baptised March 20 1711, Littleport Anne Crabb baptised December 14th 1712,Littleport Robert Crabb baptised October 3rd 1714,Littleport William Crabb baptised January 10th 1726, Littleport
Children
Robert Crabb baptised September 17th 1749, Littleport William Crabb baptised July 28th 1751, Littleport Mary Crabb baptised September12th 1756, Littleport died December 7th 1756 Mary Crabb baptised November 13th 1757, Littleport Christopher Crabb baptised December 12th 1761, Littleport Clement Crabb baptised July 26th 1764, Littleport Pepper Crabb baptised September 21st 1766 Thomas Crabb baptised January 21st 1770, Littleport William Crab baptised February 20th Littleport died November 3rd 1773
1749
Marries Esther James on the 25th July in Littleport
1753
The History of the County of Cambridgeshire by Edmund Carter LITTLEPORT " A large village in the Fens, 22miles north of Cambridge, 5 miles north of Ely" FREEHOLDERS Christopher Crabb Pepper Crabb Bennet Crabb William Crab
1756
Death of daughter Mary aged 3 months
1773
Death of son William aged 8 months
1796
Death of wife, Esther Crabb, aged 69 years. Burial April 27th 1796
1804
Death of William aged 78 years. Burial October 24th, 1804
In your grandmother’s words · from her notebook

Family

Parents

RCFatherRobert Crabb

The children of Robert & Mary Greene

· · · William Crabb b. 1726this page

Marriage

Children

TCChild · the line continuesThomas Crabbmain line1769–1855

Life

Confirmed — anchored to a recordEstimated — inferred
1726

Born

10 January 1726 at Littleport

William Crabb, christened 10 January 1726, Littleport — parents Robert and Mary Crabb.— Baptism — Littleport (1726)
Confirmed in index record Evidence
Found in an index or transcript — the original page not yet read:
  • Baptism — Littleport (1726) — 'England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975', FamilySearch: William Crabb, christened 10 January 1726, Littleport — parents Robert Crabb and Mary Crabb. Validated 3 July 2026. index entry — original not yet seen
1749

Married Esther James

25 July 1749

July 25th 1749 Littleport to Esther James— From Janet Brock’s research
Mum’s record Evidence
From Janet Brock’s research notebook.
1753

Freeholders of Littleport — Carter's county history

1753

LITTLEPORT — 'A large village in the Fens, 22 miles north of Cambridge, 5 miles north of Ely.' Freeholders: Christopher Crabb, Pepper Crabb, Bennet Crabb, William Crab.— Carter's History of Cambridgeshire (1753) — the freeholders
Mum’s record Evidence
From Janet Brock’s research, cited — not yet re-verified at the image:
  • Carter's History of Cambridgeshire (1753) — the freeholders — Edmund Carter, The History of the County of Cambridgeshire (1753), Littleport entry — transcribed by Janet. The freeholders' list is the family's high-water mark on paper. from Mum’s research
1756

Little Mary dies, twelve weeks old

1756

Death of daughter Mary aged 3 months— From Janet Brock’s research
Mum’s record Evidence
From Janet Brock’s research notebook.
1773

The last baby, William, dies at eight months

1773

Death of son William aged 8 months— From Janet Brock’s research
Mum’s record Evidence
From Janet Brock’s research notebook.
1796

Esther dies, sixty-nine

1796

Death of wife, Esther Crabb, aged 69 years. Burial April 27th 1796— From Janet Brock’s research
Mum’s record Evidence
From Janet Brock’s research notebook.
1804

Buried

24 October 1804

October 24th 1804, Littleport aged 78 years— From Janet Brock’s research
Mum’s record Evidence
From Janet Brock’s research notebook.

Our research

The freeholder's ground

Open research · Littleport & Ely

  • Which William is the freeholder? Carter printed his list in 1753, when our William was twenty-seven — the 'William Crab' of the list could be him or an uncle of the older generation. The land tax assessments and the Ely diocese manorial records (Littleport was a bishop's manor) would show who held what, and when the family's ground was sold. To do: Cambridgeshire Archives, land tax & manor court rolls.
  • Where did 'Pepper' come from? A freeholder Pepper Crabb in 1753, William's son Pepper baptised 1766, a grandson Pepworth in 1838 — the name reads like a mother's surname preserved. Find the Crabb–Pepper marriage and a generation of the wall may come with it. To do: Littleport/Ely marriages, 1680–1725.
  • The other seven. Robert (1749), William (1751), Mary (1757), Christopher (1761), Clement (1764) and Pepper (1766) all have Littleport descendancies — Clement's and Pepper's lines are visibly still in the registers of the 1830s–40s, and the wider clan farmed at Wisbech Road into the 1880s. A one-village one-name study is entirely feasible here.