William Oates was born at Hull on the 27th of November 1820 and baptised a year later, on his first birthday, at Holy Trinity — the son of Christopher Oates, a sailmaker of Myton, and Maria Bayston. He became a joiner, and a joiner who went wherever the building went.
He was a child of the wandering years: taken to Scawby in Lincolnshire when his father tried the grocer's trade there, and back to Hull when that trade failed. In 1845, at Hope Street Chapel, he married Jane Thompson of Goxhill — both of them signed the register, where his own father had only made a mark. Then the road opened west. The 1851 census finds the young family at Broughton, in Salford, William a journeyman builder, his brother Edwin the joiner lodging with them, and his eldest child — Mary Elizabeth, aged four — born in Manchester, and her baby brother Henry beside her, Manchester-born too; the children after them came at Boston and at Aspley Guise in Bedfordshire before the family came home to Hull. Four of William's children would carry a birthplace their father's trade had chosen for them.
By 1861 he was a house joiner in West Sculcoates. The next year Jane died, at forty-one, and William was left with the children. The 1871 census holds him a joiner in a shared court in South Myton, keeping house with his grown daughter Mary Elizabeth — and it was from that house, 80 Osborne Street, that Mary Elizabeth married the young keelman Samuel Richmond that April. In 1875 William married again, a widow named Ann Donaldson.
After that the record loses him. A William Oates was entered in the Hull workhouse in 1881, and the family long took it for him — but the register, read at the leaf, sets that man down as a cabinet-maker born in Plymouth: another man entirely. Where our William was on that census night we cannot say. He died at Hull in the winter of 1883, aged sixty-two. Through his daughter Mary Elizabeth the line runs on into the Richmonds and the Brocks.
Composed from validated records · 2026-07-10